Jun 5, 2008

Moist low fat carrot cake



Exercise seems to be slowly disappearing from my daily routine. Last few weeks or to be more precise months I have been concocting every excuse for not hitting the gym. The yoga classes have become passé. My yoga teacher bumped into me recently at a coffee shop,"Hey I thought u have moved”, and my response was that was a good guess, sorry have been little bit busy but I definitely am joining up from next week.


But I didn’t, I have no idea why I am doing this even if I strongly believe in the old adage Health is wealth. I guess I am bored of over doing things.

In the past 18 months hardly have I missed a single class and I was really in a top shape and bouncing with an over dose of energy that I feel is slowly fading away.Exercise in daily routine is a must and no excuse is pardonable.

I was feeling so dull with my midday blues and pinning to have some dessert but was in no guts to gear over the sugar laden ones. The only choice was my low fat carrot cake that I have been baking since last seven years. It is a “no fail” cake and my friends have high regards for this loaf. I had collected this loaf while browsing at the local library. I feel extremely bad for not being able to recollect the author’s name and book .My sincere apologies to the author but only thing that I clearly remember was that it was a superb collection of low fat recipes.


Here goes a moist mildly spiced carrot cake to indulge without any guilt.



Ingredients


¾ cup whole-wheat flour

3/4 cup plain flour

1tsp Baking soda

1tsp Baking powder

1 ½ tsp cinnamon

1 /4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ginger

2/3 cup Brown sugar

3 tbslp oil

1 egg

2 tsp vanilla essence

½ cup skim milk

1 ½ cups grated carrots (squeeze the excess moisture)

1( 8 oz) crushed pineapple tin well drained

½ cup raisins

¼ cup walnuts



Method

Step 1 Shift the flours and add Baking powder, Baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.

Step 2 In bowl mix egg and sugar, add oil, essence and milk. Mix well till the sugar is dissolved.

Step 3 Add the crushed pineapple to the above mix.

Step 4 Gently add the flour mix and blend till well incorporated.

Step 5 Add the grated carrots, raisins and walnuts.

Step6 Preheat the oven at 180 c. Grease a loaf tin and bake for 25 to 3o mins till done.

My son loved it with the store bought cream cheese frosting. What a treat.


18 comments:

Divya said...

Hey that cake looks so yummy!!a good choice for ppl like me..who are on a diet and struggling to resist temptations!!thanks a lot for the recipe!!

Roopa said...

wow what a cake!! lovely pics!

Swati Raman Garg said...

this one looks so tempting buddy... i want to bake :(

Happy cook said...

Indeed it is a delicious moist cake.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

My net's been acting cranky..couldn't comment earlier on..
the spices I bet add a kick to the loaf right?

click said...

same here. we've been to the gym twice in the past six months. love this recipe.

- bee

ranji said...

wooooow!!these do look moist and definitely low fat...i am always looking for such recipes...loved this one shibani...really delicious.

meeso said...

I am terrible about going to the gym regularly too... The cake looks so good though, and now I'm craving some!

Uma said...

low fat carrot cake? Can I have a piece, pleaseeeeee! Lovely.

Cham said...

Love ur recipe, i love nut and raisin adding delicious!

Madhavi said...

Great recipe, cake looks awesome, perfect!!!

Kevin said...

Carrot cake is one of my favorites. Especially with the cream cheese frosting.

Asha said...

Carrot cake and cream cheese frosting is a Heavenly combo! Looks yum!:))

Arundathi said...

that's a lovely looking cake, thanks for sharing!

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

Does look ever so yum...nice moist cake!

Neha said...

first time to ur blog, nice cake and it looks u are quite passinate abt baking...
so r u from buvaneshwar,my inlaws stay in orissa, n my hubby is big fan of the city (he did his graduation there),nice to meet u..

Aparna said...

Lovely cake and just what the doctor ordered, for me anyways!
Thanks for dropping by my blog and allowing me to discover yours.