Jun 12, 2008

COCO - NUTTY SQUARES


Just a few more days of my stay remain in Beijing as we prepare to move to a new destination. Unlike many times before, this time the move is within the country, to Qingdao. Qingdao is only an hour’s flight from Beijing, a nice quiet place away from the din and bustle of Beijing. It lies within a short distance of one of the finest beaches in china.

As always I am excited to start afresh again. Our stay at Beijing over the past 2 and ½ years has probably been the longest that we have stayed at a particular. Sounds strange, doesn’t it. But I feel lucky to have traveled so much and get exposed to many cultures.

This time however, I am a bit worried about my little boy who is very close to his buddies at school. He will have a tough time the first couple of days. But I also believe that kids are the first to adapt to a new friend circle compare to us choosy adults.

The moving company will be arriving tommorow and start packing up our stuff. I thought of quickly baking something with the left over pantry , to help me munch through my remaining days in Beijing.

My wonder full cookie book came to my rescue. I was glad to find a recipe that exactly matches my leftovers.

I used the left over butter and all the dry fruits when the original recipe had called for only almonds. The original recipe had also called for 6 tbsp of butter -- I decided to use only 3 tbsp and added ½ cup milk to make up for the remaining butter.



As I sign off on my last blog entry from Beijing, I have enclosed some pictures of the street where I lived by in Beijing — a nice lively place surrounded by cafés and nik-nak shops that used to keep me busy.





Amen! And I see you all again in Qingdao very soon.

Ingredients

3tbslp of butter
½ cup milk
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 light brown sugar
2 tbslp wheat germ
1tbslp orange zest

Topping
2 large eggs
¼ cup brown sugar
¾ mixed nuts( almonds, cashews, raisins and handful of tutti frutti)
½ shredded sweetened coconut
1tsp vanilla essense

Method

Grease the pan and prepare the base.
Mix flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, butter, zest and milk .Press the mix into the grease pan.

Prepare the topping
Beat eggs and sugar and add the nuts ,essence and shredded coconut. Gently the spread the topping on the base and bake it at 180 ‘c for 35 mins or until done.
Then cool cut into desired shapes.



Enjoy and Savour it







21 comments:

Happy cook said...

Coco squares looks yumm.
Wow you are moving again.
See u back after setteling in Qingdao

Rachel said...

those bars look delectable.happy moving.....

sowmya said...

lovely yummy squares..they look great!

delhibelle said...

Hope you will enjoy Qingdao as much as Beijing! Happy moving and settling:)

Cham said...

Seems moving makes u happy :) Happy moving , delicious square

Madhuram said...

The squares look absolutely delicious. Happy moving.

ranji said...

thast some awesome squares shibani...anything i can use to substitute wheat germ?...

Madhavi said...

Coco Squares looks great, very nice recipe..happy moving!!!

Swati Raman Garg said...

settle soon and get back with new recipes.... and those squares look really inviting...

Sagari said...

beautiful bars shibani, enjoy your new place

Asha said...

You are so lucky to live in China atleast for sometime. Looks like such a peacefu place. Good luck with your move, enjoy the new place an don't forget to post some photos.
Coco-nutty yummy yummy!:))

Uma said...

such a lovely place you are living in Beijing! Pictures are beautiful. I can imagine how exciting you would be with your new place. Happy moving and take care Shibani!

coo-nutty squares look so scrumptious.

Alpa said...

I would love to hear more about your day to day life there (if you choose to tell). So intriguing! Lovely pictures and of course you just made me hungry again!!

meeso said...

This is my kind of snack, looks so good... Will try this very soon!

Kevin said...

Those squares look good! Moving around so much sounds like it would be fun in a lot of ways.

JZ @ Tasty treats said...

yummy squares! and u r so lucky to travel/stay at all these places...i wish i cud come with you! have a happy move! and see u from Quindao!

Sharmila said...

Hi!Have visited your blog a couple of times and thought this time I ought to mention that you have some very good recipes here.I especially liked the moist low fat cake .. and these nutty squares look great.Hope u enjoy your new place of stay.

Archy said...

Such an easy healthy bar !! shall try it soon.. but need to try eggless :) !!
Looks delicious !!

JZ @ Tasty treats said...

hey you, there's something for u on my blog! come by :-)

Vaishali said...

Have a nice move, Pearlsofeast- change can certainly be exciting. I will look forward to your return to blogging from your new home.
The squares look absolutely divine.

Namratha said...

The squares look perfect, good luck with the move! :)